-
May 28th, 2002, 12:32 AM
#1
HB Forum Moderator
was an excellent movie. Probably one of the best written movies I've ever seen.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 18, 2002 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>
-
June 16th, 2002, 04:35 AM
#2
HB Forum Moderator
Has anyone had a chance to see this movie?
I'm curious if you agree with the theme that this IS the ultimate scriptwriters movie...an excellent example of a script that could be used by professor who teach scriptwriting.
Can there be any doubt that this film will win the Academy Award next year for Scriptwriting?
-
February 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM
#3
HB Forum Moderator
Well, it's been nominated for an Oscar, which is what I SHOULD have predicted. [img]redface.gif[/img]
-
February 13th, 2003, 11:09 PM
#4
HB Forum Moderator
I'll never forget the final scene, it's almost like a take-off on the Graduate, when Dustin Hoffman is trying to get to the church before the wedding takes place...only it's way different.
They really managed to make everyday potentially mundane things, important in "About a Boy". I wonder if it plays as well as a TV rental versus seeing it in the theatre.
I'm starting to remember glimpses of a couple of cool camera angles. I'd probably see the movie again if it were to be re-released in a movie theatre.
-
February 14th, 2003, 04:16 AM
#5
Inactive Member
A lot of cool camera movements in some scenes too. Well worth the rent.
-
February 19th, 2003, 01:43 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Definitaly one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I love all of Nick Hornby's writing.
-
February 19th, 2003, 08:55 AM
#7
HB Forum Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by nahie:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alex: I'm curious if you agree with the theme that this IS the ultimate scriptwriters movie...an excellent example of a script that could be used by professor who teach scriptwriting.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe in the sense that it had a very warm, fuzzy, "everything-will-work-out-hollywood-style" feeling to me.
But then I haven't seen the movie in probably 6 months and don't plan to again.
I prefer more "original" scripts like Am?lie or even the tragedy that was Gangs of New York.
The best example screenplay that I read in screenwriting class was the first "Rocky" written by Sylvester Stallone. If you thought the movie was good, you should read the screenplay.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
I find interesting that two of the movies you mention do have violence as the centerpiece of the movie.
About a Boy did not have violence as the centerpiece of the movie. Does that mean it's a warm and fuzzy Hollywood movie simply because no one is in danger of losing their life? I don't agree with that notion.
Even Amelie had several shortcomings as a "classic". First, it used image trickery to tell the story. I liked the speeded up shots and crazy moves, but combined this visual stimuli with matching sound effects, and it is a gimmick.
I kind of felt sorry for Amelie at the end of the movie, because her definition of womenhood was to get her man, even if he wasn't the right man for her.
So the whole way through, we root for Amelie because she seems to represent the inner floating spirit we all posess, yet in the end she settled for complete and utter mediocrity.
But I did like Amelie a lot anyway. But I found that Amelie had much more of a Hollywood ending than "About a boy" did.
-
February 19th, 2003, 04:35 PM
#8
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alex: I'm curious if you agree with the theme that this IS the ultimate scriptwriters movie...an excellent example of a script that could be used by professor who teach scriptwriting.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe in the sense that it had a very warm, fuzzy, "everything-will-work-out-hollywood-style" feeling to me.
But then I haven't seen the movie in probably 6 months and don't plan to again.
I prefer more "original" scripts like Am?lie or even the tragedy that was Gangs of New York.
The best example screenplay that I read in screenwriting class was the first "Rocky" written by Sylvester Stallone. If you thought the movie was good, you should read the screenplay.
-
February 19th, 2003, 11:29 PM
#9
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">I find interesting that two of the movies you mention do have violence as the centerpiece of the movie.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gangs of NY may be violent, but I think it depicts the violence as tragedy and rising from injustice. I had no idea how imigrants were forced into service during our civil war, etc. and a lot of that movie can be seen as a criticism of "gang" violence, imo. Just because a movie is "violent" doesn't mean it glorifies it.
Yes, Rocky is about a boxing match. But it is about so much more than just macho boxing. I found it's depiction of inner city life really eye opening (at the time it came out). It is also a good story about personal triumph...etc.
Okay, so "About a Boy" wasn't bad, but it was just boring. I didn't feel enlightened and to be honest, the movie didn't really make me think (well, besides "I should write a hit song so I don't have to work for the rest of my life" thought). But that is just personal taste. I like thinkiny social commentary philosophical movies, others like movies that make them feel good.
So should it win an academy award for best screenplay? I'd go with "Chicago" but I haven't seen "The Hours" or "The Piano." "Adaptation" should be read in screenwriting class as an example of how not to write a screenplay...blech.
-
February 19th, 2003, 11:42 PM
#10
HB Forum Moderator
Yeah, Both Rocky and Gangs of New York (Gangs I have not seen) have a story also. And the main character in About a boy does represent a rather small percentage of society, a very small percentage of society. (but then, wanting to be a boxer may be just as small a percentage).
But I think "About a Boy" does an excellent job of being both a movie told in the first person (by the lead), and also a movie where the other characters don't take any shxx from the lead.
I guess I'm surprised that you can like Amelie so much yet be lukewarm about, About a Boy. They could be brother and sister.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks